As a part of the Curriculum Department, Library Services, comprised of staff in our 45 Elementary Schools, 10 Secondary Schools and Learning Resource Centre, is committed to the diverse and growing needs of the teaching and learning community through technological advancement and a commitment to excellent service. We provide a means to improve the quality of instruction and to help in the development of resources and materials supporting the Ontario curriculum within a Catholic framework, consistent with principles of equity and inclusive education.
Guiding the growth of a Library Learning Commons, school-based library staff provide a physical and virtual space where students and staff may:
- Access, select, gather, critically evaluate, create, and communicate information
- Use the information obtained to solve problems, make decisions, build knowledge, create personal meaning, and develop into individuals who can meet the challenges of a constantly evolving world
- Communicate their findings for different audiences, using a variety of formats and technologies
- Use information and research with understanding, responsibility, and imagination
The Learning Resource Centre supports the main roles of Library Services through:
- Facilitating the cataloguing and distribution of system-wide purchased resources
- Research and reference support for all HCDSB Staff
- Technical Support for digital collections
- Curation and circulation of all LRC lending resources
- Support for all school-based library staff (cataloguing, collection development, resource sharing)
By providing the HCDSB learning community with a full and diverse range of physical and digital resources, Library Services encourages the development of critical thinkers and effective users of information in all formats and media, matching the individual learner with the appropriate material.